Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Mother Holle's Apples




...She went on a little farther, till she came to a free full of apples.'Shake me, shake me, I pray,' cried the tree; 'my apples, one and all,are ripe.' So she shook the tree, and the apples came falling downupon her like rain; but she continued shaking until there was not asingle apple left upon it. Then she carefully gathered the applestogether in a heap and walked on again.

Apples as the horn of plenty, a hallucinated otherworldly vision in this tale. Apple trees speak to me in the Fall the same way, ripe apples make me steer my car to the side of the road, to begin a little sampling. Note to other would-be trespassers.. most farmers own and can use rifles.

The next thing she came to was a little house, and there she saw anold woman looking out, with such large teeth, that she was terrified,and turned to run away. But the old woman called after her, 'What areyou afraid of, dear child? Stay with me; if you will do the work of myhouse properly for me, I will make you very happy. You must be verycareful, however, to make my bed in the right way, for I wish youalways to shake it thoroughly, so that the feathers fly about; thenthey say, down there in the world, that it is snowing; for I am MotherHolle.' The old woman spoke so kindly, that the girl summoned upcourage and agreed to enter into her service.

eventually the girl turns greedy and the plenty be it gold or apple or whatnot, is denied to her.

No comments: